When processing personal data, UVIC has adopted the following principles, as laid down in the EU GDPR Regulation:
- Personal Data shall be processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Personal Data shall be collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes only.
- Personal Data shall be adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed.
- Personal Data shall be accurate and, kept up to date. This means UVIC must have in place processes for identifying and addressing out-of-date, incorrect and redundant Personal Data.
- Personal Data shall be kept in a form which permits identification of Data Subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the Personal Data is processed.
- The integrity and confidentiality of Personal Data is maintained at all times through appropriate technical and organisational measures, including protection against unauthorised or unlawful Processing, and against accidental loss, destruction or damage.
Data we may collect from you
UVIC may collect and process the following data about you:
- To interact with certain features on the Web Site, you may create a public profile that is available to other internet users (“Public Profile”), through which you may provide certain information about yourself, including videos and photographs, academic interests, comment, or other content. You are solely responsible for the accuracy of such Public Profile and all such use is at your own risk. UVIC shall not be responsible for any claims or liabilities arising from your creation and/or use of the Public Profile. Certain colleges, universities, scholarship providers, and other business partners of UVIC may be able to view and have access to your Public Profile. However, UVIC will not share such information without your consent, which may be required in order for you to create a Public Profile. At any time, you may close your account for the Public Profile.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence. If you send us personal information which identifies you via email, we may keep your email and email address. We may also collect information that is available from your browser.
- We may ask you to complete optional surveys for research purposes.
- Details of transactions you carry out through the Web Site and of the fulfilment of your orders.
- Details of your visits to the Web Site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, and the resources that you access.
- Details of your access to our online resources or other materials.
- Providing CVs or other information about yourself for specific purposes.
How we use your personal data
We use personal information held about you in the following ways:
- to update and enhance our records
- to compile information relating to your use of our products and services and make recommendations about goods and services and other areas that may interest you
- to ensure the content from the Websites is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer
- To facilitate your participation in activities and to provide services through the Web Site (including providing you with information and answering any questions)
- To provide you with information regarding any special offers, including from our advertisers, or other third parties
- To invite you to participate in research studies and/or market research activities
- we may analyse your data to create a profile of your interests and preferences so that we can contact you in the most appropriate way and with the most relevant information; to respond to queries from members of the public about your membership status
Share Your Information
UVIC will not share your Personal Information with third parties for their commercial or marketing purposes without your consent. UVIC ® may, however, use or share non-Personal Information (e.g., user statistics and demographic information) with third parties. By using this Web Site and providing your Personal Information, you further agree as follows:
UVIC may also disclose your information, including Personal Information, in response to a subpoena, when required by law, or to protect our rights. Further UVIC may disclose any information in connection with any criminal investigation or to defend UVIC against any claims by third parties. These disclosures may be carried out without notice to you.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
Your legal rights
If the General Data Protection Regulation applies to you because you are in the European Union, you have rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data:
- The right of access – that’s a right to make what’s known as a ‘data subject access request’ for copy of the personal data we hold about you;
- The right to rectification – that’s a right to make us correct personal data about you that may be incomplete or inaccurate;
- The right to erasure – that’s also known as the ‘right to be forgotten’ where in certain circumstances you can ask us to delete the personal data we have about you (unless there’s an overriding legal reason we need to keep it);
- The right to restrict processing – that’s a right for you in certain circumstances to ask us to suspend processing personal data;
- The right to data portability – that’s a right for you to ask us for a copy of your personal data in a common format (for example, a .csv file);
- The right to object – that’s a right for you to object to us processing your personal data (for example, if you object to us processing your data for direct marketing); and
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling – that’s a right you have for us to be transparent about any profiling we do, or any automated decision making.
These rights are subject to certain rules around when you can exercise them. You can see a lot more information on them, if you are interested, on the UK Information Commissioner’s Office website.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact us.
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner's Office (“ICO”), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance.
How to contact UVIC about privacy